Rocking Horse - Part 2 - The Wood Whisperer Charity Build

Woodworkers Fighting Cancer

My second night of building the rocking horse had its highs and its lows. After cutting out one side, using the a bandsaw for most of the cutting, and sanded the edges to the finished shape. For me, a flush trim bit in the router table was going to make quick work of the matching piece, and my attention to detail made a perfect pattern to follow (a high point!). However, despite being cautious with the router, I ran into a tear out problem on some end grain (a low point…). I left both sides taped together as I finished sanded the all the edges… trying to solve the tear out problem in my mind while I worked.

The tear out was 1/8” deep which would result in having to reshape the piece in order to remove it. Then I remembered my trusty CA glue. Combining CA glue and sanding dust makes a great wood filler, and once you have packed it into the void a spray of the activator hardens the mixture. This was an extreme case for this solution (I usually use this trick on small gaps, like in dovetails), but it was a perfect project to try it on. It was easy to fill the cavity and smooth it out, but the CA glue repair is darker in colour than the surrounding wood. I’m not overly concerned as the surrounding wood will darken when finish is applied and continue to darken over time.

My only deviation from the plan is where the sides meet the saddle. I’m cutting the 10 degree angle on the mating surface of the sides for a better fit to the saddle. The plan calls for using construction adhesives, for a simplified construction, to fill gap that would normally be created. It’s fairly simple to accomplish a proper fit using a block plane or spoke shave and a rasp. Next step is dry assembly, finish, then final assembly!

Part 1 of the Rocking Horse project is here

Here is The Wood Whisperer's second video on this project:

Images: