Adirondack Chair, Round 2 - Part 1

Life has gotten in the way of wood working for the past year and a half. Recently an opportunity arose that sees me making another Adirondack chair and supporting my local hospital. The chair I make will be auctioned off during a charity event called 'Chair Affair'. So the adventure of the Adirondack Chair, Round 2 starts.

The first step in this adventure was making a trip to my local wood supplier and pickup the appropriate building materials. I settled on Sapele based on the material they had sufficient size and quantity of. After letting it sit in my shop for a few days I began by laying out each piece using chalk. After I was confident that I most efficiently used my raw material, I broke the boards down. Nothing unusually here. I cut to rough length, rip to rough width, joint one face flat, plane to thickness + 1/16", sand off the last 1/16" using a thickness drum sander. The center back piece was to wide for my jointer so I hand planed it flat on one side. My son was intent on copying dad, so he planed a scrap piece of wood. The 8/4 material I purchased was a full 2 1/4" thick, so prior to thickness planing, I resawed any pieces that needed to be 1 1/4" final thickness. No sense just making it into saw dust.

I tackled the legs first. Last time I used a router to make the mortises, but this time I decided to use a mortising machine.  I'd like to say a dedicated mortising machine is way better than using a router, but I'm not convinced. I found myself spending time cleaning up the mortise. There are always multiple ways to accomplish a task in wood working and it's about finding the way that works best for you.

Having the fixtures and templates left over from the last build is saving lots of time. I was able to quickly work through all the details on the legs. Next up on the hit list is the side legs and front apron.

 

Images: