Adirondack Chair - Part 5 - The Wood Whisperer Guild Build

The Adirondack chair is now complete (well, sort of). The one part of the project design that I never really loved is the arm support brackets. They just aren't for me, so I thought I would deviate from the design. I've tried a few mock up support brackets, but nothing has jumped out at me yet. Instead of settling on something , I'm going to let the idea percolate in my brain for a while. Hopefully that will result in something I love.

After the parts were prefinished using Cutek Green (a product I used this past summer on a Kayu Batu deck), the arm assembly was glued to the front legs using Titebond Polyurethane glue. I was uncomfortable using just screws to fasten the back slats and the butt slats, so after roughing the mating surfaces with some sandpaper, I applied polyurethane glue at each of those locations as well. Hopefully that will help prevent twisting of the slats. The last finishing touch was the ebony plugs.

Making the ebony plugs was a straight forward, yet time consuming process. The steps described by The Wood Whisperer worked well and I didn't deviate from his suggestions. I used E-Z bond epoxy to glue each plug in and I am very happy with the results.

The chair is more comfortable than one would expect, although I don't find Adirondack chairs to be all the comfortable anyhow. I must admit that I wasn't really excited about this project when it was first announced, but I'm really glad that I did it. The finished project looks great and I learned several new skills doing it, which is all I could ever ask for. If you're interested in doing this project, check out http://thewoodwhisperer.com

Previous Posts:

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

Images: